Are you an Essex-based Poet in the early stages of your facilitation journey, looking to develop your skills delivering poetry education in schools? Do you know someone who might be?
As part of SPOKEN WORD POWER, Essex Book Festival invites you to apply for our poet educator training programme: SPOKEN WORD POWER: FUTURE LEADERS.
The 2023 FUTURE LEADERS cohort will be based in locations across England including Essex, and will receive a programme of support, shadowing of school workshops and participating in a series of lab-style training workshops with industry experts and other facilitators from across the country.
This training programme is part of SPOKEN WORD POWER, a programme of Spoken Word Poetry workshops in schools aimed at encouraging students to write and perform their very own poetry, perform in a school poetry slam and then nominate a class poetry team to represent them in an exciting performance event for World Poetry Day.
- Jan-March 2023: 9 sessions in total, approx. 20 hrs of training.
- Please note that this is an unpaid programme, but you will be provided with a bursary of £350, to contribute to expenses and time spent training.
- Training will consist of a mix of in-person training sessions in your local area, Zoom sessions with the full Future Leaders cohort, and in-person shadowing poets delivering in schools on the SPOKEN WORD POWER programme near you.
What will be covered?
Future Leaders will develop skills in the following areas:
- Practical understanding of the realities of delivering workshops in schools and the process from start to finish
- Hands-on experience of planning and delivering high quality poetry writing and performance workshops
- New practical tools and techniques in workshop design, classroom management, workshop facilitation and practice delivering these
- Collaborative approach to problem-solving of your personal facilitation challenges with the other Future Leaders cohort with support from industry experts
How do I apply?
To apply, please head to our application form HERE and complete and return the survey (including your CV).
Application Deadline: 11.59pm on Wednesday 14th December.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with Claire on [email protected].
We look forward to hearing from you soon!